City Protection Officers are tasked with tackling antisocial behaviour, street drinking, beggars, retail crime and act as an ambassador in Gloucester City Centre.
The CPOs are Security Industry Authority approved, first aid trained and have experience of security work in the city.
They provide cover for 152 hours per week, seven days a week, 362 days of the year after £650,000 was raised for the scheme from Gloucester’s Business Improvement District, with Gloucester City Council and Gloucestershire’s Police and Crime Commissioner partnering with the scheme.
They do not have the power of arrest, but they will have all the powers of a security guard and can, if needs be, detain someone until police arrive. Each CPO is fitted with their own body cameras, along with radio links to City Safe members, the Police and CCTV rooms.
Their duties include:
· Tackling low-level anti-social behaviour during the early evening in support of businesses.
· Referring street beggars, street drinkers and rough sleepers to relevant authorities.
· Report on and when appropriate deal with graffiti, damage and fly-tipping.
· Report when levels of cleanliness are below standard.
· Respond to minor incidents as directed by CCTV, City Policing Team or as requested by business.
· Submitting incident and intelligence reports to City Safe.